Tuesday, 3 December 2013

Meet the Editors: Jane Noyes

Ten things about Jane

1. Why did you become a nurse?
It’s a bit of a long story! I originally wanted to go to university straight from school but grew up in a family where no one had previously been to university and the expectation was to leave school, marry young and ‘settle down’. ‘Settling down’ when still a teenager wasn't exactly high on my agenda so I decided to stay on at school and complete the exams required for university entrance. I then left home to train as a nurse at the top nursing school at the time – the Nightingale School of Nursing at St Thomas’ Hospital, London. I had an absolute ball and once qualified set off on travelling the world and developing my own career and future.

2. Why did you become an editor?
I was lucky enough to pursue a clinical career at some of the top hospitals in London and then gain experience of working with top global clinical academic children’s research teams. I was both undertaking research and using research evidence to pioneer new innovations such as nurse-led care and services for children with complex needs. I was encouraged by medical colleagues to study for a Masters degree at the University of Manchester. My supervisor was Professor Christine Webb, former editor of the Journal of Clinical Nursing and JAN. I had a good role model, and once immersed in academia I couldn't stop reading and writing – so becoming a journal editor was a natural next step.

3. What is the best thing about being an editor?
My clinical focus is child health and I have always felt that children's research should be reviewed and managed by someone with children’s knowledge and experience. Like many child health researchers who seek to publish their work in generic academic journals, I've had my share of peer reviewers who think that children can be conceptualised in the same way as autonomous adults. If there is one contribution that I want to make to editorship it’s enhancing the quality of published children’s research by trying to ensure higher quality peer review.

4. What makes JAN unique?
JAN was a pioneering UK-based academic nursing journal, it’s stood the test of time, evolved and currently has the largest reach, readership and download figures. Just looking at the download metrics is awesome – no other journal can match JAN.

5. What is your favourite paper published in JAN this year and why?
I trained at the original Florence Nightingale School of Nursing at St Thomas’ Hospital well before Kings College London laid claim to her legacy and School. I was therefore both fascinated and horrified to read Lynn McDonald’s discussion paper on Mary Seacole and Florence Nightingale. I could not stop reading until the last impassioned word!

6. What advice would you give to an author?
Read and follow the journal guidelines, ask experienced colleagues to review your work prior to submission, respond positively to constructive feedback, learn how to deal with uninformed feedback, reflect on the reasons why your work is either accepted or rejected.

7. What advice would you give to aspiring editors?
Read a lot, write a lot, travel a lot to understand different nursing contexts, cultures and health systems, learn to speed read, and be prepared to spend a lot of time editing manuscripts for which you receive lots of deadlines, little reward, but a wealth of excellent experience in editorship and authorship.

8. What annoys you most about poor manuscripts?
The authors have wasted their time in submitting a manuscript that is never likely to be published.

9. What are the main challenges for nursing in the next decade?
Having to work until we are nearly 70! I cannot imagine having the required energy levels and stamina to run around wards looking after patients long after I had originally planned for retirement at 60!

10. Who do you recommend to follow on Twitter?
The very few people who have something innovative, informative or interesting to say…

No comments:

Post a Comment