Thursday, 31 October 2013

Meet the Editors - Rita Pickler

Ten things about Rita:

1. Why did you become a nurse? 
I always thought I wanted to be a teacher, except I was not sure what I would teach. A family friend suggested I had a “nice voice for nursing” and since I had already had eight majors in my freshman year of college, I thought I may as well try it. Once I started my nursing classes, I knew I had made a good decision. I cannot imagine not being a nurse.

2. Why did you become an editor? 
I developed an interest in being an editor after years of editing papers for others as well as writing my own. I enjoy the actual “editing” process. I had some experience editing on a small scale for special issues in various journals and I have edited a column in a speciality journal for some time. When the announcement for the JAN editorship crossed my desk, I knew it was something I should pursue.

3. What is the best thing about being an editor? 
The best thing about editing is getting to read cutting edge, state of the art science before anyone else does!

4. What makes JAN unique? 
I think JAN is unique because of its broad topic and methods range. That sort of scope is pretty rare.

5. What is your favourite paper published in JAN this year and why? 
There were so many to choose from but my favourite paper this year is Lisbeth Uhrenfeldt, Hanne Aagaard, Elisabeth O.C. Hall, Liv Fegran, Mette Spliid Ludvigsen and Gabriele Meyer paper entitled, “A qualitative meta-synthesis of patients' experiences of intra- and inter-hospital transitions.” I like it because it is such an important topic for nurses and health care and its importance has only increased in recent years. This paper helps us to better understand the patient’s perspective.

6. What advice would you give to an author? 
I would advise choosing an important topic, studying it thoroughly, selecting a journal whose mission is a good fit for the topic, and then writing well.

7. What advice would you give to aspiring editors? 
I advise working your way into editing. Start by reviewing papers for journals in which you publish. Review as many papers as you can to get a feel for good (and poor) writing. Also look for opportunities to edit special issues of journals. These experiences will help you when you have an opportunity to apply for an editor position.

8. What annoys you most about poor manuscripts? 
As an editor, I read everything that comes into my inbox and so it annoys me greatly when I have to read a poorly written paper.

9.  What are the main challenges for nursing in the next decade? 
I think we will be challenged to gain or perhaps even to maintain the progress we have made as clinicians and scientists. I think this challenge will be made greater by the loss of nurses to retirement as well as the loss of potential nurse clinicians and scientists to other disciplines.

10. Who do you recommend to follow on Twitter? 
I am not an expert or frequent “tweeter.” However I do follow JAN and its editors, STTI, COPE, and other professional organizations.


No comments:

Post a Comment